In fact, UN declared 2013 as the International Quinoa Year in recognition of its potential to aid in the fight against hunger and malnutrition. If you haven’t tried this superfood yet, then you’re missing a lot. Read on to find out what makes the quinoa super.

Quinoa is a great source of protein

Protein is one of the essential building blocks of cells. It is responsible for building and repairing tissues as well as in producing enzymes and other body chemicals. To obtain our daily protein requirement, we have to consume foods rich in amino acids. Amino acids play a central role in the formation of protein. Unfortunately, some amino acids, called “essential” amino acids, are not produced by the body and can only be obtained through diet.

Quinoa is one of the few grains that contains all nine essential amino acids, which is why it is called a “complete protein.” A cup of quinoa contains 8 grams of protein which is enough to meet your daily needs.

Quinoa has high fiber content

Quinoa also contains twice as much fiber than other grains. A cup of quinoa yields 12 grams of fiber, 36% of which are soluble and the remaining 64% insoluble. Soluble fiber helps prevent high blood pressure and diabetes while insoluble fiber aid in digestion and regulate bowel movements. Fiber-rich foods like quinoa also contribute to weight loss because it makes you feel full faster.

Quinoa is rich in minerals like iron and magnesium

Iron helps in the formation of hemoglobin, a substance in our red blood cells that carries oxygen to our muscles and internal organs. Magnesium, while often overlooked, is also an essential mineral responsible for the healthy formation of bones and teeth, overall nerve function, and energy production.

Quinoa is high in antioxidants

When free radicals come into contact with cells in the body, they create a chain reaction that causes the molecules in those cells to become unstable as well. Continuous exposure to free radicals results in a weakened body or disease. Antioxidants help neutralize the damage caused by these free radical molecules. Quinoa is especially rich in antioxidants, specifically quercetin and kaempferol. These substances are also known to contain anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, and anti-depressant properties.

Quinoa is gluten-free

Quinoa is getting a lot of love from the gluten-intolerant community, especially those afflicted with celiac disease. Its gluten-free properties have allowed it to become a healthy alternative to food made from oats, rye, barley, and wheat which is found in most bread and pasta.

Quinoa has a low glycemic index

Glycemic index refers to a system of measurement that indicates how quickly food makes our blood sugar rise. With a rating of 53, quinoa is in the lower range of the glycemic index. That means it does not elevate our blood sugar too much.

Quinoa is very easy to add to your diet

Its quick and simple preparation makes it very easy to incorporate into your diet. All it really takes is around 15 to 20 minutes of boiling and it’s already good to go. If done correctly, it should have a nutty flavor with a slight crunch. You can make it even more interesting by matching it with a lot of other food. There are a lot of recipes on the Internet that you can refer to.

Quinoa is available in Landers Superstore. Better join this superfood’s bandwagon for a healthier you this 2018.